If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain. For more information follow this link.

Which status you get may depend on when you apply.

You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 or lived in the UK for a continuous five-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’). You can find more information here. 

If you do not have five years’ continuous residence when you apply, you’ll usually get pre-settled status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. You can then apply to change this to settled status once you’ve got five years’ continuous residence. You must do this before your pre-settled status expires. This website provides more information.

The EU Settlement Scheme is open now for applications, if you meet the criteria. You can submit your application here.

It’s free to apply to the scheme and the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. If you need help making an application, Europia offer a free support service. Visit their website.

To keep up to date with news and advice on a range of topics including money advice, subscribe to any of our marketing lists here.